Nature is not natural and can never be naturalized — Graham Harman

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Skholiast on the End of (the Illusion of) Modernity

Skholiast writes here on my recent post. I am an inveterate flyer of kites. I'm okay when they fall apart and crash so I'm wondering whether and how this one can stay up. My subjective evidence is that I never, ever would have thought this way until a few weeks ago. Surprise as a token of truth.

It was really not even after I'd accepted OOO that it hit me. It was while I was teaching Hegel's aesthetic philosophy to my undergrads last quarter. Jarrod Fowler had just sent me this incredible piece of music (or non-music) about which you'll hear at the Rutgers talk. So I found myself saying that finally Hegel's dialectic of Romanticism, which I hold we've been caught in since 1790 or so, is done.

When postmodernism hit and when ecocriticism hit in my literary neighborhood, I just didn't buy that these were news of a new era. What's uncanny about Jarrod's music is that it comes out of a very dense post-Derridean theoretical view but it's also a hyperobject...

More on this soon.

1 comment:

skholiast said...

thanks for a gracious shout-out, Tim. I get it about flying kites. But my intuition is also that one's surprising turns of thought are very possibly where the energy is the most alive. More to come.